The Town of Palm Beach Planning and Zoning Commission will host a three-hour public workshop focused on the Process Improvement Initiative of the Town’s Planning, Zoning, and Building Department. The public workshop will serve as the first in a series of three public workshops to occur this summer. The public workshop will be held in the Magnolia Ballroom located at The Breakers, One South County Road, Palm Beach, FL 33480.
Recently, the Town of Palm Beach Planning, Zoning, and Building Department commenced the Palm Beach Process Improvement Initiative to assist Planning, Zoning, and Building (PZB) customers, staff, and managers responsible for resident, business, and development review processes in identifying and implementing process improvements. The primary purpose of this process will be to begin melding the processes into a seamless experience that is:
- Supported by customer service that is timely, consistent, respectful, clear, and accountable; and
- Conducted in partnership with the residents, business community, and other stakeholders with better tools and support to staff in performing their roles
The project will use a continuous improvement approach and lean methodology to facilitate the following outcomes:
- Clear understanding among all process owners of the end-to-end process (“as is”);
- Identification of bottlenecks and inefficiencies that create backlogs and inconsistent outcomes, resulting in both frustration for both customers and staff;
- Shared understanding and a clear vision among all process owners for an improved, streamlined process (“to be”) that addresses frustrations and inefficiencies; and
- Tangible changes that reduce the amount of time it takes the city to issue/process applications through the various PZB review processes and improve customer and staff satisfaction with the process and its outcomes.
The project will include, but not be limited to the following tasks:
- Mapping of the current and future state processes, identifying gap and process improvements, develop action plans, and work on five improvement projects for 90 days;
- Assess technology to determine how automation technology may be used to further streamline work flows and bring Palm Beach’s process in line with current industry standards and best practices that are tailored for Palm Beach’s unique environment; and
- Conduct listening sessions (public workshops) with stakeholders (residents, business owners, Town Council Members, civic organizations, Planning Zoning & Building Board and Commission Members, design professionals, contractors/subcontractors, and others as needed) to hear frustrations with the process, identify what is working well, gather their ideas for improvements and share some of the Town’s emerging solutions for process improvements.
The public workshop is open to the public and will include a public engagement segment. All stakeholder groups are encouraged to attend. Registration is not required.
For questions regarding the workshop, please contact Josh Martin, Director of Planning, Zoning, and Building, at 561-227-6401 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A copy of the recent presentation on the Process Improvement and Code Reform Initiatives can be found at the following link: Process Improvement and Code Reform Initiatives.