The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) is a virus that causes respiratory illness in people similar to the flu virus. This virus was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China where the virus is spreading via person to person transmission. Currently, the 2019 Novel Coronavirus is not spreading person to person in the United States.
The State of Florida confirms that there are currently no documented cases of Coronavirus in Palm Beach County or in Florida. However, the Town of Palm Beach is being proactive and following Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations and guidelines in preparation for potential cases of the virus.
Town Officials, including Town Council Members, the Town Manager’s Office, Fire Rescue personnel and Law Enforcement have been actively monitoring developments related to the Coronavirus since it was first discovered in Wuhan China. Regular meetings have been established with the Florida State Fire Marshall’s Office, the Florida Department of Health (FDOH), CDC personnel, and local partners, including Palm Beach County Department of Emergency Management, and Palm Beach County’s Department of Health.
Town of Palm Beach Public Safety personnel have reviewed and adjusted their emergency response plans in full compliance with CDC and the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) recommendations and are prepared to handle any potential Coronavirus impact in our community should it occur.
Currently there is no vaccine, so prevention is the best approach. Use all the same precautions that you would use for the flu or an ordinary cold including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (Sing the Happy Birthday Song twice), including between the fingers and under your nails. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. Isolating yourself to a room if possible to prevent the spread of a respiratory virus among family members
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Get your flu shot if you have not done so already.
Palm Beach Fire Rescue in partnership with the CDC and the Florida Department of Health, will continue to closely monitor the situation and will update the public immediately if there are actions that need to be taken to halt the spread of this virus. For more information please contact Sean Baker at (561) 227-6433. Information regarding the Covid-19 virus can also be obtained from the CDC website https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.