In 1879, early pioneers planted about 15,000 pineapple slips to establish a pineapple farm on the island.
The first school (Little Red Schoolhouse) was built in 1886 and is preserved today at Phipps Ocean Park.
Millie and Jacob Gildersleeve, two of the earliest African American pioneers on the island, purchased property from Elisha Dimick in 1890, which later became Riviera Beach.
When Flagler extended his railroad to Palm Beach, it ran onto a 1,000-foot long pier in the Atlantic, making it easy for ships to deliver cargo and passengers. The 1928 hurricane destroyed it.
In the early 1900s, the west end of Worth Avenue was home to Alligator Joe’s Farm, where Joe entertained winter visitors with his collection of alligators he often wrestled.
The Town of Palm Beach, Palm Beach County’s second municipality, was incorporated on April 17, 1911, after it was discovered in January that West Palm Beach was going to attempt an annexation of the island resort during that year’s legislative session